M.E.S College of Commerce, the pioneer degree college at Sirsi – the picturesque town of Uttara Kannada District in Karnataka, was conceived by Modern Education Society, Sirsi. . It came into being in 1972, affiliated to Karnatak University, Dharwad with an objective of providing commerce education in an area suffering from the acute shortage of such facilities at that time. With a meagre 58 students in the year of inception in 1972-73, the College has grown to be a vibrant institution providing quality education to more than 1050 in B.Com and 100 students in M.Com in 2017-18. Over the past four decades, the college has served the cause of purposive education in this hilly, tribal and backward region.
A path finder in quality education, the college continues to cater, to quality education in this region leading to B.Com degree of Karnatak University, Dharwad. It is recognized by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi, under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act, the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), India.
The research and professional qualifications of the faculty members have enabled them to impart value added education to the students. The remarkable increase in the students’ strength over the years bears ample testimony to the innovation and creativity exhibited by the staff with the active support of the Management.
The college is also offering learning opportunity in ‘Business Mathematics’ and ‘Costing and taxation’ as specialiaztion in V and VI Semester, at B.Com. It has also been accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi to conduct coaching classes for C.A. CPT Examination. The College provides intensive coaching for C.A.-CPT and C.S. Foundation Course students. The institution has also linkages with Forum of Free Enterprises, Mumbai, Tata Dhan Academy, Madurai, Vidya Poshak, Dharwad, Deshpande Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, Hubli, Nisarga Trust, Sirsi, and alike.
The excellent performance of the students can be gauged by the higher pass percentage in B.Com degree, C.A.-CPT and C. S. Foundation examinations and several ranks to the University and all India ranks in C.A.-CPT Examinations. Workshops on Personality Development, Communication Skills, Interview Techniques, Career Guidance etc., are organized on regular basis. BPO training culminated in the selection of many students as Process Executives and Internship Trainees by Infosys BPO Ltd., Bangalore. The College has an excellent track record of outstanding achievement in cultural activities, sports and social service arenas. The college has been grooming young leaders through NCC and NSS units with the motto of social service.
The College was accredited by NAAC with B Grade on 15-09-2012. As the validity period of accreditation expired, the College has applied to the NAAC for re-accreditation.
Distinctive Hall marks:
- Consistently excellent results in University Examinations.
- University ranks, gold medals,
- awards, prizes won by the students every year, 20 ranks, 100 plus awards /prizes so far.
- Impressive achievements in the Sports field and in the Cultural front. As many as 43 University Blues in sports and 12 Cultural Blues produced by the college till date.
- During 2016-17, the college has bagged General championship in K.U.D. Inter Zonal Youth Festival.
- An ideal campus with excellent academic ambiance and with aesthetically satisfying, functionally adequate buildings, gardens, spacious Lecture Halls, Well- equipped Two Computer Laboratories, a well stocked library with latest editions and a ladies’ hostel within the campus.
- Highly qualified, experienced teaching and support staff with academic commitment and research inclination.
- Still retaining its umbilical relationship with a large, forward looking philanthropists and public, who have been shaping the college identity with commitment and enthusing values of corporate discipline and culture in academic life.
- More than hundred Chartered Accountants and 20 plus Company secretaries are occupying plum positions in the corporate field.
- Alumni occupying positions of responsibility in India and abroad and making significant contribution to national development.
2017-18 STUDENT DETAILS